Pinterest

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Abandoned ...But others in my group loved them!


I abandoned My Near-Death Aventures (99%) True by Alison DeCamp. I started twice and just couldn't connect and figure it out.  I didn't really get very far and wanted to give it one more shot, but the library called for it back and I happily returned it, grateful that I wouldn't have to give it another try!  I just didn't get the humor.  Someone else on our reading committee loved this book. So don't go by my review.  Give it a try!

Here is the public library description:
  • Print Length: 256 pages
  • Publisher: Crown Books for Young Readers (February 24, 2015)
  • Publication Date: February 24, 2015
Abstract: 
In 1895, twelve-year-old Stan decides to find his long-lost father in the logging camps of Michigan, documenting in his scrapbook his travels and encounters with troublesome relatives, his mother's suitors, lumberjacks, and more.

I quit reading Nightmares by Jason Segel and Kristen Miller about 1/3 of the way into the book.  It is about a boy who imagines his stepmother is a witch and he dreams of horrible nightmares at night and is tricked into entering his nightmare. It is a scary, humorous story. I quit reading because I really hated reading about the nightmares.  This book has two other books that follow it.  It was also highly rated by several people in my reading group.  However, I was ready to move on from this nightmare of a book!
  • Print Length: 402 pages
  • Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers (September 9, 2014)
  • Publication Date: September 9, 2014


No comments:

Post a Comment