Pinterest

Friday, June 10, 2016

Castle Hangnail by Ursula Vernon


Castle Hangnail needs a magical person to rule the castle and the minions or servants are getting desperate.  The board of magic is telling them they are running out of time. The minions are unique characters. There is a Minotaur, a hunchback, a steam kettle, a goldfish, and a stuffed creature who sews.  They need a master and 12 year old Molly who is a wicked witch shows up at their door. She doesn't seem to quite fit their expectations but they take her on.  Her magical powers, although not conventional, begin to win the castle minions over. Then a truly evil sorceress shows up to take over the duties. The minions are miserable because she is really hard to live with. They need to figure out how to keep Molly and overthrow the sorceress. 

This book has great illustrations and is truly written for the 4-6th grade student. It is longer and the reading level is 5.1. It would be perfect for advanced readers in the younger grades. It is more Disney like and not too scary. In fact, I kept thinking that I would probably enjoy this book as a movie. 

My reading experience was plodding. Fantasy isn't my favorite genre and so sometimes I have a hard time making a connection that keeps me totally focused. Or maybe since I have been so busy, I was just tired! That being said, this is a great book for elementary students who want a Harry Potter meets Disney experience.  I give it an OK rating or 2 out of 4.  But, I bet others will rate it higher. I think kids would like this book.  

  • Age Range: 8 - 12 years
  • Grade Level: 3 - 7
  • Lexile Measure: 0730
  • Hardcover: 384 pages
  • Publisher: Dial Books (April 21, 2015)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0803741294
  • ISBN-13: 978-0803741294

No comments:

Post a Comment