Pinterest

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Jack and Louisa: Act 1 by Andrew Keenan-Bolger and Kate Wetherhead

  
  • MHL 2019 Reading List
  • Genre: Realistic Fiction - Musical Theater
  • Grade Level: 3rd - 7th 
  • Reading Level: 5.7 (6 points)
  • Length: 240 pages
  • Publisher: Grosset & Dunlap (February 10, 2015)
  • My Rating: 3 out of 4
  • Readability: Easy and quick read.  Very specific story about musical theater.
  • Division 1 or Crossover
  • Summary:  In separate voices, 12-year-old Jack and Louisa tell of Jack's reluctant move from New York City to the suburbs of Shaker Heights, Ohio, where his new neighbor Louisa urges him to audition for "Into the Woods."
I was little lost in this book because I have never seen the musical or movie called Into the Woods. I did put them on queue to watch this summer on my Amazon movies account. It sounds like they might be fun to view. As when I read some sports books, I felt a little lost since I didn't have all the background knowledge that the story was immersed in.

Anyway, this is a light read with a simple and steady plot. I think the right kid may just love it if musical theater is their thing.  I am currently reading Short by Holly Goldberg Sloan and it seems to not only be about musical theater (Wizard of Oz) but the author does a better job of just telling a well rounded interesting and funny story. 

There are three book in this series so far:

No comments:

Post a Comment