Pinterest

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Confessions of an Imaginary Friend by Michelle Cuevas


  • Maud Hart Lovelace Reading List
  • Genre: Fantasy
  • Grade Level: 3-5
  • Reading Level: 4.8 (4.0 pts)
  • Length: 176 pages
  • Publisher: Dial Books (September 8, 2015)
  • My Rating: 3 out of 4
  • Readability: Fast read, a little confusing at first, got better and better with a great ending!
  • Division 1 
  • Summary:  Jacques Papier thinks everyone except his sister Fleur hates him but is shocked when he finally learns the truth: He is Fleur's imaginary friend. When he convinces Fleur to free him, he begins a surprising, touching, and funny quest to find himself.

This book is a memoir of Jacques, an imaginary friend to a little girl.  Jacques narrates this story as he tells about his adventures after being a friend to Fleur and then what happens to him when he looks for a new friend.  It is a quirky story that is written with a wonderful literary style that reminded me of books written by Roald Dahl, Dr. Seuss, Neil Gaiman, and Kate DiCamillo. Since Jacques doesn't really believe he is imaginary, his point of view is of a "real'' person.  I think that threw me when I started to read this book - a little confusing for me.  I was going to quit reading but decided to give it a few more pages.  It just got better and better!  The ending was so satisfying.

So, I rated it a 3 out of 4 because of the slow beginning. I also think this book might need some coaxing for kids to read since the cover seems early elementary.  I am anxious to find out what other readers think of this book.  


No comments:

Post a Comment