Pinterest

Saturday, April 14, 2018

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L'Engle


  
Age Range: 10 - 14 years
Grade Level: 4 - 6
Hardcover: 256 pages
Publisher: Square Fish, Media Tie In Edition, (November 7, 2017)
Rating: 3 out 4


Summary:  Meg Murry and her family receive a surprise visit from an unearthly stranger out of another dimension in time


I decided to reread A Wrinkle in Time before I went to the movie but, I haven't made it to the movie yet and so I can't compare the movie and the book. I imagine it has changed a bit and an new artistic flair has been given to the movie edition. 

This is my third time reading this book.  I read it in sixth grade and I don't think I understood it very well.  I read it again when I began my career in the library media center and I think I enjoyed it and of course understood it.  Now, the third time around, I realized that I didn't remember much of the details.  What I did notice is that there is a lot of fantastic and amazing scenes that will probably translate very well on the big movie screen.  The director received a large budget for the special effects and the making of this film.


This was a TV movie in 2003 and Madeline L'Engle was alive at that time. She said it didn't translate as well on television because they just didn't have the budget for special effects. A granddaughter of Madeline L'Engle appreciated the new version and felt that the changes from the book were appropriate for this new version.  So I am looking forward to viewing this movie when I have some time to see it.

What was funny about the book were some of the words they used which are out of style these days. Moron was a name they called Charles Wallace many times. Sometimes I would have to reread because the writing seemed awkward to me. This book didn't connect with me as much as other books I have read. It was good but I did plod through portions of it. Fantasy is not my go to genre and they don't tend to be my favorite reads. I rate it a good which is a 3 out of 4 for me. 




No comments:

Post a Comment