Pinterest

Saturday, February 29, 2020

Giant Pumpkin Suite by Melanie Heuiser Hill


My fellow reader for MYRA nominations was surprised that I wasn't voting for this book for our nomination voting window this year. I had to admit that this book wasn't on my radar. She thought it would be right up my alley.  She was right; I loved it.  It came out in 2017 and I somehow missed it. 

The story begins with a 12-year-old twins Thomas and Rose who help their elderly neighbor who has fallen down the stairs in his basement and is seriously injured. What Mr. Pickering is most worried about is the one pumpkin plant that he has just planted. He entrusts this plant to the twins with directions for its caretaking. Turns out that is a seed for a special giant pumpkin that was willed to Mr. Pickering and he plans on growing a record-breaking pumpkin. Because of his accident, Thomas and Rose and the entire neighborhood get involved over the summer to make sure that this pumpkin plant is well taken care of. Meanwhile, Rose who is practicing for a big cello audition finds herself derailed over the summer and takes an unexpected break from playing her cello. The summer becomes a growing season for her as well as the pumpkin. 

I adored the community and family focus of this book. They truly support and help each other out across generations. It is set in Minneapolis and ends up later at the great Minnesota get-together State Fair. I also spent one evening asking "Alexa" to play lots of the cello music mentioned in the book. I highly recommend doing this when you read this book. Even though this book is longer than average...I didn't want to leave this neighborhood. I give this a 4 out of 4 rating.  I really liked it!

Age Range: 9 - 12 years
Grade Level: 4 - 7
Reading Level: 5.0
Hardcover: 448 pages

Publisher: Candlewick (September 12, 2017)

No comments:

Post a Comment