Pinterest

Monday, March 15, 2021

Twins by Varian Johnson


 4 Stars | Varian Johnson | Graphic Novel | 2020 | Grades 3-7 | 256 pages | 2.9 reading level

This book has been on so many 2020 book lists and it is about twin sisters, so I had to read it. Francine and  Maurine are starting 6th grade and Francine is beginning to want to have her own identity. She plans on running for president of the class and also begins to dress differently. The twins aren't even in the same classes anymore. Maureen finds out later that it was a request of her twin sister. She is hurt and lashes out and even runs against her for president.  Sixth grade will be a year with a lot of changes and growth for both of them. 

I wanted to read this book because I am also a twin and wanted to see how Varian Johnson tells their story. He is also a twin and so I think he nailed the drama that happens in this book. I am very surprised that he wrote about girls since he and his brother are identical twins. I Googled and learned that he wanted to write this story for his daughters. He also wanted this to be a story where they could see Black kids as the stars of the story. 

I thought the illustrator did a great job. She added lots of details that aren't in the writing but add so much. For example, the girls were headscarves to bed to protect their hair. I am sure she had fun drawing all the outfits, hairstyles, and school and family scenes.  Shannon Wright mentioned in an article I read that she was burned out drawing books that were sad and heavy. This project was what she needed. I hope these two team up and bring us more books about Francine and Maurine!



No comments:

Post a Comment