Pinterest

Monday, August 16, 2021

Chirp by Kate Messner

4 Stars | Kate Messner | 2020| Mystery | Grades 4-6 | 4.6 Reading Level | 240 pages | 5 Hours Audio

I was fascinated with the idea of eating crickets and making them a normal part of our American diets which was one of the plots in the book. I am not sure I am ready to add them to my diet! But Mia's grandmother sure wants everyone to love eating crickets from her farm. 

The main character is middle schooler Mia who has moved with her family to Vermont. Her grandmother needs help with her cricket farm but also suspects that some sabotage is happening behind the scenes. Mia and her friends try to figure out what is going on. Meanwhile, Mia is also recovering from a broken arm from gymnastics but is learning new skills in the summer camps she is attending. You learn what happened to Mia and why she is avoiding gymnastics classes. Mia learns to speak up and deal with some things that have been bothering her for some time.  

I enjoyed reading this book and I thought it was a great story for middle grade.  

Check out the author reading the first chapter in her book!



No comments:

Post a Comment