Pinterest

Thursday, October 6, 2016

Nuts to You by Lynne Rae Perkins



I thought I would just love Nuts to You as much as I loved Apple Blossom the Possum. They have so many similarities.  However, this book just didn't tug at my heart like the possum family.  Nuts to You is the story of a squirrel who gets picked up by a hawk but manages to escape in the air but falls far from the tree home.  A couple of squirrels watched where he landed and take off to find him. They discover that the electrical company is cutting down trees under the electrical poles and lines and it is destroying the homes of animals as well. They have to figure out how to warn the animals and save themselves as well.

I think the pictures in this book are adorable!  Lynn Rae Perkins must have created them as well since no other person is listed. I might have liked this book better on Audible.  There was some cute dialogue and snappy conversations that seemed perfect for listening.  This might be fun as a read aloud!   There is a message of tree conservation in this book - in the last few pages it really sent home to the reader what the theme of the book is about.  I also have to say that sometimes the squirrels were really "squirrelly" (silly, random, hyper!).  I rate this book a 2.5.  It would be good for division 1 and both boys and girls.  The reading level is 4.2.

  • Age Range: 8 - 12 years
  • Grade Level: 3 - 7
  • Lexile Measure: 560 
  • Paperback: 288 pages
  • Publisher: Greenwillow Books; Reprint edition (May 3, 2016)

No comments:

Post a Comment