Pinterest

Friday, August 4, 2017

The Light Keeper's Legacy by Kathleen Ernst


 
Adult Read

Genre:  Mystery
My Rating: 4 out of 4
Readability: Fun to read since I visited this lighthouse.

The setting for this book is Rock Island which is above the tip of Door County, Wisconsin.  This summer I vacationed in Door County and did a day trip to Washington Island by ferry.  From Washington Island, you can take a small boat to the Rock Island State Park which is a primitive island for camping or day trippers.  There is also a historical light house that you can tour that is led by volunteer docents.  While I was visiting, I took a tour of this lighthouse.  I am glad I did, because the book was set on this location.


The time setting is 1982 with flashbacks to the late 1900’s when the lighthouse was operational and families lived on the island.  Chloe Ellefson
is a museum curator who is consulting with the committee which is restoring the historic lighthouse. She encounters a dead body and sets out to solve the mystery. As she researches the island, she finds out about the women who lived on the island in the past. The flashbacks are the stories about these women. Chloe begins see connections between the past and the present day lighthouse and mystery.


I just loved reading this after I had visited the island. I could picture everything so clearly! It was an interesting mystery because the author also presented another historical fiction story with an interesting twist.  Great read and essential if you visit Rock Island!

This book is part of mystery series with Chloe Ellefson solving mysteries with some history and a little romance.  Not too graphic but there are a few swear words. 


No comments:

Post a Comment