Pinterest

Wednesday, August 9, 2017

The Nordic Theory of Everything by Anu Partanen


Adult Read

Genre:  Nonfiction
My Rating: 4 out of 4
Readability: Fascinating to read about Finland’s society. I couldn't put it down.

Anu Partanen is a Finnish Journalist who met an American, fell in love and eventually married and moved to America in 2008. She writes this book as her commentary on the contrast between life in the United States versus Finland and the other Nordic countries. However, her focus is usually Finnish.

She covers the topics of family values, education, healthcare, business, employers and employees, government, and citizens. A phrase she uses many times during this book is the phrase “the Nordic theory of love.” Many of the decisions made by society are based on this theory.

As I read this book, it made me want to visit Finland even more than I already do.  She does talk about characteristics of the Finnish people that I think may still exist in my family today. It is fun to think about anyway.  She does paint a picture of how much greater the Finnish way of life is and wonders why Americans don’t progress forward. But, she also acknowledges that the people she has met in America, despite their difficulties in life, embrace it fully and are friendly, welcoming, and positive.

This book was a fun read for me and I found a lot of connections. I especially enjoyed reading about Finnish education.  

No comments:

Post a Comment