Pinterest

Monday, December 18, 2017

The War I Finally Won by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley



New Book 2017
Genre: Historical Fiction
Grade Level: 4-7
Reading Level: 3.7 (9 points) 400 pages
Publisher: Dial Books (October 3, 2017)
My Rating: 4 out of 4
Readability: Great Sequel but little sad.
MHL Division: Division 2

Summary: 
As the frightening impact of World War II creeps closer and closer to her door, 11-year-old Ada learns to manage life on the homefront.

This is the sequel to The War That Saved My Life and concludes the story. When you read this book, you knew another had to be in the works.  I would have loved to have read it back to back because I did forget some of the details and the momentum of the story.  I adored the first book and recommended it many adults to read. Now with the sequel out, I would hand them both books at the same time. 

The book starts out with Ada having surgery to correct her clubfoot. Since the setting is World War II England, the story gives much insight to the suffering, difficulties, and sadness that people endured during this time. The book hints at the psychological issues that many of the characters had to manage and struggle with since they had much brokenness in their lives.  

I am so grateful for the good life I have lived and know that reading books like this which tell of how difficult life has been for some during war times especially helps us to count our blessings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment