Pinterest

Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Love Sugar Magic by Anna Meriana

"Caroline flipped quickly through the last few pages of the recipe book. "There are no My Mistake Meltaways or Oops-a-Daisy Pies.""page 192

Grade Level: 3-7
Reading Level: 5th
Hardcover: 320 pages
Publisher: Walden Pond Press (January 2, 2018)
Rating: 4 out of 4

Summary:
6th grader, Leonora LogroƱo’s family owns a bakery in Rose Hill, Texas, and each of the women in her family are brujas or witches. Leonora wants to try witchcraft too but her family says she is too young so so tries her magic in secret. She tries to help a friend with a romance problem by trying a magical recipe and because of her inexperience cause lots of humorous results. 

This book was chosen as the January book to read for Middle Grade at Heart Book Club.  It is featured on the blog MG Book Village.  I thought it sounded like a fun read and the cover was very appealing. I enjoyed reading it and it brought me back to the type of book I loved as a middle grade reader.  I never cared for the scary or too fantastical book. For some reason I liked the everyday people with magical abilities. Maybe it comes from all those Bewitched and I Dream of Jeanie TV shows! And just like in this book, Lenora ends up in some humorous trouble when she tries to bake up a love potion cookie to help her best friend out. 

Diversity is a big topic in children's literature and this book is a great blend of a contemporary American teen who has a rich Mexican heritage. The book is sprinkled with lots of Spanish and the celebration of the Day of the Dead is featured in the plotline. This is also a book girls would like. The only main boy character is the victim of the "love potion bake." With the cover being very pink and purple I would imagine boys will stay away! I give this a solid 4 out of 4 rating. 

No comments:

Post a Comment