Pinterest

Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Princess Cora and the Crocodile by Laura Amy Schlitz


"Dear Godmother, nobody listens to me...I am sick and tired of everything." page 13

Age Range: 4 - 8 years
Grade Level: Preschool - 3rd Grade 
Reading Level: 4.1
Hardcover: 80 pages
Publisher: Candlewick (March 28, 2017)
Rating: 4 out of 4

Summary
Unhappy queen-in-training Cora receives a pet crocodile from her fairy godmother, which disrupts her mundane daily routine.

This book is a picture book masquerading as chapter book. The audience is for younger students but it looks like a book for older students.. I put it into the Fiction section of my library but I think I will put it into my JR Fiction section instead.  It is really a "chapter book".  This is a kind of book that I call fiction on training wheels.  You get a lot of picture support, not too long of a story and the book is aimed at the lower grades in content.

This book is a cute story about a princess who longs for a dog but is told no repeatedly. The nanny says dogs are too dirty, the Queen says she is too busy to have a dog, and the King is too busy to answer her request. So, she writes to her Godmother and the next day a box with holes punched in the top appears in her room.  It is a crocodile....her new pet. The crocodile substitutes for the princess and she runs off and enjoys her day doing exactly what she wants to do. Meanwhile, the crocodile causes chaos in the castle. Changes are about to happen in Princess Cora's life after this crazy day. 

This would be a great read aloud for younger classes and perfect for the princes book requests!  I rate it a 4 out of 4. 


No comments:

Post a Comment