Pinterest

Thursday, February 14, 2019

Merci Suarez Changes Gears by Meg Medina


I just finished reading this 2019 Newbery Award winning book on a snow day in Minnesota! I appreciated the talk of heat and sweat and Florida weather. The book reads like it could be situational comedy with lots of heart. I would watch! Merci is a 6th grader navigating life at school and with her Cuban extended family with humor, angst and love. Great for 4th-6th grade readers.

This book is a fun choice for the Newbery award. It will be very accessible for its intended audience and I predict that it will be become a well loved Newbery.  It also checks the box for getting more diversity into books for kids. I will be waiting for the first Newbery sitcom based on this book!  I rate it a 4 out of 4!

Age Range: 9 - 12 years
Grade Level: 4 - 7
Reading Level:  4.6
Hardcover: 368 pages
Publisher: Candlewick; (September 11, 2018)
ISBN-10: 076369049X

No comments:

Post a Comment