Pinterest

Monday, August 12, 2019

Mustaches for Maddie by Chad Morris and Shelly Brown


A book based on a true story always gets my attention and this is a wonderful story about a little girl who has to face a scary brain tumor surgery. She does it bravely with humor and great trust alongside the support of her family, friends, and school. She also begins to see that others are also struggling and her eyes are open to kindness and compassion. 

What I loved about this story was how you follow Maddie through her doctor's appointments, MRI's, and surgery and are able to understand what she has to go through.  I think lots of kids are curious to see what that might be like especially if they haven't faced this themselves. Details like having to get up early to go to the hospital and not being able to eat or what it is like inside an MRI machine are some of the things that were included.  I haven't read a lot of books that explain to readers what happens when you have surgery. This would be a great recommendation for kids interested in medical issues or even having to go through surgery themselves.  I used to love reading Cherry Ames, Nurse books when I was a middle school reader and I still watch lots of medical drama shows on television and so this book was interesting for me. 

I highly recommend this book and give it a 4 out of 4 rating. 


Awards for Mustaches for Maddie
Alabama Camellia Children’s Choice Award 2019 nominee
Ohio Buckeye Children's Book Award winner 2018
Missouri Mark Twain Award nominee 2019-2020
Rhode Island Children's Book Award nominee 2019

  • Age Range: 8 - 11 years
  • Grade Level: 4 - 6
  • Reading Level: 4.0 (7.0)
  • Paperback: 256 pages
  • Publisher: Shadow Mountain; Reprint edition (August 7, 2018)


No comments:

Post a Comment