Pinterest

Monday, August 12, 2019

The Remarkable Journey of Coyote Sunrise by Dan Gemeinhart


This book tops my 2019 reads so far. When I finished reading it, I ordered another one because I know I will be recommending it over and over. It is heartbreaking, hopeful, humorous and heartwarming.  It would make a great read-aloud for 4th and 5th graders and a great book club book too. 

Coyote Sunrise and her father, Rodeo, have been traveling around the country in a retrofitted school bus for five years. They begin this journey after a car accident killed Coyote's two sisters and mother.  The only way Rodeo could cope was to escape the pain. But one day everything changes when Coyote calls her grandmother and finds a reason that she needs to get back home immediately and she knows she will have to "trick" her father into getting there. Since she needs help on the journey back home they begin taking on people to travel with them on their bus. The story is full of fun twists and turns and Coyote is a wise, funny, and loveable character. 

I want this book to be a movie! It would be so good.  So, make this book a priority read. I would choose it as the Newbery winner for 2020 if I could!  I give it a 5 out of 4 rating.  



A 2019 Parents' Choice Award Gold Medal Winner 

Katherine ApplegateQuote Two

  • Age Range: 9 - 12 years
  • Grade Level: 4 - 7
  • Reading Level: 4,7  (12 points)
  • Hardcover: 352 pages
  • Publisher: Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (January 8, 2019)

No comments:

Post a Comment