Pinterest

Wednesday, December 30, 2020

My 2020 Favorite Books! (Adult Reads)

It is time to look at my reading year and declare my favorites!  I had a lot of 4's and 5's this year. I read about 130  books. When I looked at my reading log, I realized that my 4 and 5 ratings may have evolved over the year. Sometimes in the year I was more stingy with my ratings than others. Sometimes I enjoyed a book and yet knew it wasn't as excellent as other reads and yet at the time it was so enjoyable. 

I love a book that I don't want to put down or have to talk myself into reading. Or the the dreaded...how many more pages do I have left?  My favorite books are the ones that I want to put in my bag and take to work in case I have time to read.  Of course, I never find time to read for myself at school! But I will wake up early and read. 

So my favorite book was The Giver of Stars by Jojo Moyes. But it was practically a tie with The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek by Kim Michelle Richardson. They are both about Appalachian pack horse librarians in the 1930's.  I also loved Wonderland Creek by Lynn Austin which was also about the same topic.  It was a reread for me this year and I rarely do that but I wanted to compare all three books.  It was just as much fun the second time around. This book has more comedy in it.  I guess I do forget what happens in novels. Not sure why I don't reread more than I do. Another book came out this fall that is also about an Appalachian librarian. It is called Librarian of Boone's Hollow.  It is a Christian Historical Fiction book which I plan on reading soon. 

I loved these stories because they are about women who find their strength, despite their doubts, and are able to survive and help others as they reach poor and underserved people with education, books, and a lending hand. They are women with determination despite lots of obstacles and hardship.

Books about Appalachian Pack Horse Librarians

Here are the rest of my favorites.  I would glady buy all of these and place them into your libraries! Instead of another summary, I will just give you the genre and a few subject headings. You already know I like them! Search in my blog for a review that I already wrote earlier this year. 


The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek by Kim Michele Richardson
Historical Fiction and Romance | Appalachian Librarian | Blue People and Racism | 

Orphan Train by Christine Baker Kline
Historical Fiction | Orphan Train | Dual Timeline

Last Christmas in Paris by Hazel Gaynor and Heather Webb
Historical Fiction and Romance | Epistalory | World War I | England | Dual Timeline | Book Club Choice

The Ten Thousand Doors of January by Alix Harrow
Fantasy and Historical Fiction | Coming of Age | Folktales

Things You Save in a Fire by Katherine Center
Contemporary Fiction and Romance | Woman Firefighter

What You Wish For by Katherine Center
Contemporary Fiction and Romance | School Librarian | Galveston Island 

How to Walk Away by Katherine Center
Contemporary Fiction and Romance | Accident | Rehab 

The Book of Longings by Sue Monk Kidd
Historial Fiction | Jewish Women | Wife of Jesus | Nazareth | Writer

The Last Flight by Julie Clark
Thriller | Abusive Relationship | Drug Dealing | Runaways

The Mother-In-Law by Sally Hepworth
Murder Mystery | Australia | Family Secrets

The Faithful Spy: Dietrich Bonhoeffer and the Plot to Kill Hitler by John Hendrix
Biography | Graphic Novel | World War II 

Westering Women by Sandra Dallas
Historical Fiction | Wagon Train of Women | Listened on Audio

The Girl with the Louding Voice by Abi Dare
Contemporary Fiction | Nigeria | Indentured Servant | Book Club Choice




No comments:

Post a Comment