Pinterest

Thursday, December 31, 2020

My 2020 Favorite Middle Grade Books!



5 Stars | When Stars are Scattered | Jamieson & Mohamed | 
Memoir & Graphic Novel | 2020 | Grades 3-7

When Stars are Scattered is my my favorite middle grade for 2020. When I finished reading it I purchased it for several people as gifts.  I plan on purchasing extra copies for my school library too.  It is a memoir and graphic novel about two orphaned Somali boys who are living in a refugee camp and looking at a future that doesn't sound hopeful. Omar is the oldest boy who takes care of his brother who is nonverbal and needs extra care. He realizes that his education may be the only way he can even hope for a better life.  This book depicts the everyday life of a refugee camp and the community that they live amongst.  Amazingly, Omar  and his brother have various people looking out for them and against much odds, they are able live a hopeful life. 

I hope kids embrace this book and love it. In my school we have so many kids with Somali connections as well as experiences as refugees.  Learning more about places and experiences outside of our city and country is so valuable. Since this book is a graphic novel it will be in a format that they are eager to read and so accessible.   

The following books are also my 2020 favorites and they are in no particular order.  I have links to my book reviews and videos.


Realistic Fiction | Set in Minneapolis | Growing Giant Pumpkins | Cello Playing | MN Author

Realistic Fiction | Math Genius | Dog Adoptions | Middle School Story

Ghost Story | Historical Connections with Emmitt Till | Police Shooting

Historical Fiction | France | WWII | Resistant Efforts | MN Author

Historical Fiction | Native Americans 

Realstic Fiction | Family Story

Historical Fiction | Graphic Novel | WWII | Jewish

Fantasy | Chimney Sweeps | Victorian England | Jewish

Memoir | Graphic Novel | Refugee Camp

Realistic Fiction | Grief  | Sharks | MN Author

Fantasy | Danish Nisse | Christmas 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment