Pinterest

Friday, January 22, 2021

Clean Getaway by Nic Stone

 

4 Stars | Clean Getaway | Nic Stone | 2020 | Realistic Fiction | Grade 4-6 | 5.0 Reading Level| 239 pages | 4 hours listening time


I thought this book would be a funny book about a feisty grandmother who takes her grandson on an adventure in her Winnebago. It has cute illustrations and seemed to be good for elementary kids.  And yes it was, however, it has a darker ending and I would say upper elementary is more appropriate.

This book unveils racism, historical events, and problems of the Jim Crow south as Scoob and his grandmother (G'Ma) travel to various states. The stories that G'Ma tells Scoob gives him a first-hand account of what she faced as a white woman who married a Black man.  The ending is surprising so hold on tight! 

Nic Stone is a great writer! I recommend this book. I started listening to it which was very enjoyable but when I picked up the printed copy, I  found some fun illustrations to enjoy as well.  

  



No comments:

Post a Comment