Pinterest

Tuesday, January 12, 2021

Genesis Begins Again by Alicia D. Williams

 


5 Stars   Genesis Begins Again   Alicia D. Williams   Realistic Fiction   2019   364 pages   Grade 4-8   4.5 Reading Level   9 hours listening length


This book wrecked me this week. I found myself thinking about Genesis and tearing up because I connected with her emotionally. 


Genesis is a thirteen year African American girl from Detroit who hates herself. Her father and grandmother have told her of their disappointment in how dark skin colored she is. They perceive that lighter color skin, smoother hair, and finer features put you in a better class of people. What a load to carry! This is also reinforced at school with bullying and derogatory name-calling. 


The father is also an alcoholic and gambler and as a result, their family’s financial status has been precarious. They have been evicted many times with their stuff dumped on the lawn. The mother keeps threatening to leave but continues to stay. The parents have plenty of baggage of their own.


Once again, Genesis starts over at a new school which happens to be in a better neighborhood outside of Detroit. She makes friends and her school life begins to look up. Her choir teacher recognizes her vocal talent and introduces her to some famous blues and jazz vocalists such as Billie Holiday and Ella Fitzgerald. She encourages her to try out for the school talent show.


So much of this book is about Genesis trying to be beautiful and not accepting her natural beauty. She is obsessed with bleaching her skin and straightening her hair. I was just so sad for her as she struggled to change her appearance. I also identified with her because I have done the same thing with dieting, perms, hair coloring, and all kinds of lotions and potions my entire life. I also connected with her introduction to singing. I also had a choir teacher who encouraged me in singing. My accomplishments in music got me through a hard time in high school. 


Although this book is a little longer than I like for upper elementary kids, I think it is worth it! Williams is a debut author and her theme of self-esteem shines through her first novel. I highly recommend this book!




No comments:

Post a Comment