Pinterest

Sunday, April 17, 2016

Charlie Bumpers VS The Really Nice Gnome by Bill Harley



This book is a humorous school story about a 4th grader named Charlie Bumpers whose class will be putting on a class play.  He has his heart set on playing the villain but gets assigned the really nice gnome instead.  He thinks his part is lame and tries to sabotage it in various ways getting his friend involved as well. There are some cute scenes with his dog and his neighbors pets and his family members too.  ,

As I read this book, I thought it reminded me of Henry Huggins by Beverly Cleary.  After I finished this book, I went to Bill Harley's website.  He announced that he was selected to receive the Beverly Cleary Children's Choice Award on April 12th, the birthday of Cleary.  It was fun to know I had made a similar connection!  Here is the link to his blog:  www.billharley.com

The writing style is easy to read and there are pencil drawings sprinkled throughout the book.  It should be a fun and easy read for most 3rd-5th graders.  This is a series book and this is number two.  This one can stand by itself without reading the first one.  I imagine he will have the rest of the series be the same.   The reading level is 3.8.  I give it a 4 out of 4 and recommend it for Division 1 MHL.

  • Series: Charlie Bumpers
  • Paperback: 160 pages
  • Publisher: Peachtree Publishers; Reprint edition (March 1, 2015)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1561458317
  • ISBN-13: 978-1561458318

No comments:

Post a Comment