Pinterest

Sunday, April 10, 2016

Small Acts of Amazing Courage by Gloria Whelan





I listened to this audio book on a recent trip during spring break. I adored it!  It reminded me of Listening for Lions which Whelan also wrote and I loved.  The cover was beautiful and the actress narrating the book was outstanding.  She did the characters and dialects so well.

The story takes place in India around 1920 and shortly after World War I.  The main character is 15 year old Rosalind who has lived in India her entire life.  Her father is a general in the English Army and they live a wealthy lifestyle among the people of India.

Rosalind is great friends with an Indian girl, who own age who asks her to help save a baby from a life of slavery and abuse. She also gets a chance to listen to Ghandi at a political rally and sides with his views.  Rosalind's father is furious with her decisions and sends her to boarding school in England to live with her aunts.

Rosalind continues to be independent and not willing to go along with what is set before her.  Even her aunts are changed by her living with them.

I just found out this book was removed from the MHL list and I am disappointed.  Too bad we missed this one.  I would rate this a 4 out 4 and good for middle school and up.  I also recommend listening to this title.   I also look forward to reading the sequel:  All My Noble Dreams and Then What Happens

  • Age Range: 9 - 12 years
  • Grade Level: 4 - 7
  • Lexile Measure: 940
  • Paperback: 240 pages
  • Publisher: Simon & Schuster/Paula Wiseman Books; Reprint edition (July 9, 2013)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1442494956
  • ISBN-13: 978-1442494954

No comments:

Post a Comment