Pinterest

Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Honey by Sarah Weeks

I listened to this book on Audible Books.  It was a fun book to listen to and was just the type of book I love!

Melody and her father are just the two of them because her mother died when she was born.  Meldoy is a happy and content child.  She overhears her father call someone "Honey" and he is starting to act strange and is whistling "You are my Sunshine". She and her best friend Nick start to try and uncover what is going on.

There are a lot of great characters in this book, such as a six year old neighbor, a beauty shop operator, a grandfather, and the teachers in Melody's life.  There is also a dog named Mo who has chapters written from his point of view as well. As the book progresses you begin to see how the connections are made to Melody and her father.

This book reminded me a little of Because of Winn Dixie.  Lots of the same elements are involved.
I just love quirky small towns with interesting characters.  This was a delightful listen for me!

This book isn't on the Maud Hart Lovelace reading list but I just added it.  I hope everyone likes it as much as I did!  I rate it 4 out of 4.  It is Division 1 for grades 3-5.  It would be a great read aloud and also good for most readers in grades 3-5.  

  • Age Range: 8 - 12 years
  • Grade Level: 3 - 7
  • Paperback: 160 pages
  • Publisher: Scholastic Press; Reprint edition (May 10, 2016)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0545465605
  • ISBN-13: 978-0545465601

No comments:

Post a Comment